Wednesday, August 02, 2006

SDCC: Dinner with Geoff Johns



Pictured: Geoff Johns is the one with Pac-Man fever. Clockwise from Geoff [I'm also giving away their Geoffian identities]: Krystal [Krystal Method], Jill [DammitJill], Mark [Tom's brother], Mathias [Midus Unknown], Peter's [PMH] grey shirt and Tom [wickedwrister31]

Sunday was the last day of the con. It was a pretty mellow day for me; I just collected my final art pieces and shopped a bit. I was hoping to catch up a bit with Geoff Johns before the con was over, but I missed his signing at the DC Booth Sunday morning. I had met one of the geoffjohns.com board members, Chris Hansbrough, during the con and just happened to bump into him as the show closed its doors. I helped him carry a heavy box out to his ride back home... and he mentioned that Geoff was meeting a bunch of us fans at Dicks, a local bar and grill type restaurant.

Ah, serendipity.

My original plan was to chill out for awhile back at the hotel, so I figured I would swing by Dicks and see who was there. Lo and behold, Geoff was holding court with the GSA [Geoffian Society of America to you non-geeks]. Although should this be GSLA, given it's West Coast branch status? Whatev--

I'm glad I was able to make it. Everyone swapped con stories and everyone was chatting about Titans and comics. Geoff mentioned that he he a great time at the con. He especially enjoyed spending some time with his mentor, Richard Donner. Geoff was Donner's assistant years ago -- yep, Geoff Johns was once a sidekick himself, of a sort.

Anyways, Geoff was his usual friendly self, and shared some Titans tidbits with us. We voted on an ever-so-slight costume variation for a character, so let's see what happens in that regard. For the record, I was voted out on my choice. I also let Geoff know that Titans Companion II looks like a 'go', so get ready to chat! Geoff seemed especially interested in talking about the "One Year Later" team. He was pleased that fans seem to be embracing the team - and Ravager and Kid Devil.

I was also chatting it up with Krystal and Jill. Krystal is a mondo-Ravager fan, as am I, so we had our Rose-love to share. Jill is more Batgirl-focused, which is equally cool. But Ravager is cooler. I was also educating Krys and Jill on the coolness that is Lilith. Poor Lilith, taken before her time. Krystal and Jill were debating which costumes to wear at next year's con, and considered a Ravager and Batgirl combo. I told them, "This must be done." This year, Krystal graced the con halls as Donna-Wonder Girl, and earned George Perez' approval.

I also got a chance to meet fellow Phil Jimenez enthusiast, Peter [aka PMH]. We both had Phil spottings during the con, and talked about the awesomeness that is the Donna Troy figures. They we traded Phil sketch stories, which was a lot of fun. Great group of people for my last San Diego Con-Dinner!

I showed Geoff my haul of sketches at the con, since I know he appreciates them. Before he had to run, Geoff doodled a few sketches for each of us. And thus, my cool-ass Deathstroke [see above]. Geoff treated us at Dicks, which was unnecessary, but wholy appreciated. Whatta guy!

Anyways, it was a great end to a great con. Shag. A Bruce Timm Batman sketch. Mike McKone art. Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo. The animated Teen Titans team. Eric Wight's Buffy. More awesome sketches. Dinner with Geoff. Sweet stuff all around.

And that concludes my exhaustive San Diego Titans Tower transmission! See you next time!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wheeeeeeeee!!! Hi! this is Krystal! Showing you some <333333

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, your chat w/Geoff sounds intriguing. It sounds like the next year of Titans will keep me glued to the book like a magnet.

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger Mr Saturday Morning said…

    David, that was me! I love that Superboy sketch. Good times.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home