Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Redesigning Kid Devil



I've had this on my mind since ONE YEAR LATER. DC'S ONE YEAR LATER was an opportunity to redesign many of the characters for the 21st century. Teen Titans is a property I always thought should seem fresh and modern. And most importantly, its characters should seem young and their 'looks' should reflect that.

That brings us to my first victim: Kid Devil a la Walko.


So here's my take on Kid Devil: Eddie Bloomberg went from this geeky kid to this cooler red devil version. And Eddie is still a bit of a geek inside, but I thought his exterior would be a contrast to that; After spending years in Los Angeles, I figured some of that fashion sense would rub off. So when you first SEE Eddie, he's s lightly scary biker-type guy... but inside, he's still the slightly insecure sidekick no one wanted.


So rather than the ripped black "Hulk" pants, I gave Kid Devil some more modern looking leather pants and kick-ass steel-toe boots. The casual white shirt contrasts his red skin. There's little accessories to keep the 'teen' vibe, like the studded belt, wrist cuff, earrings and necklace. It's a sort-of costume that is almost a regular outfit.


Also, half of Kid Devil's look is the fact he already looks inhuman. There's something about taking strange characters and putting them in 'regular' clothes that's interesting to me. I like those contrasts.


More to come...

16 Comments:

  • At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually, I think Kid Devil's lack of fashion sense makes him who he is. He'd always be a step behind the times, no matter what.

    Mike

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    He looks like a gay male prostitute.

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger Mr Saturday Morning said…

    Er, gay male prostitute? Dude, pick up a DETAILS or MAXIM mag and check out some styles.

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, I know. But the styles are gay now. Gay male prostitute.

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awesome redesign. I love the incorporation of the Blue Devil symbol into the belt buckle. I wish they'd use this in the series. I'm a much bigger fan of a costumed look for him than the Hulk pants thing. You're absolutely right, living in L.A. would've rubbed off on him and although he's always had a geek quality, finally getting the power he wanted would've given him the confidence to wear something a lot trendier than his old onesy costume. Well done!

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger mcgeemaw said…

    3 words.
    Gay Male Prostitute

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There sure are a lot of people posting who know what gay male prostitutes look like...

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yep; there sure are.

    Gay male prostitute.

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This Kid Devil is so cool! Uuuummm......he's not a gay male prostitute. He's Eddie. :D

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This Kid Devil is so cool! Uuuummm......he's not a gay male prostitute. He's Eddie. :D

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I stick by my guns on the gay male prostitute thing. I think it's a combination of the sweet little necklace and the Enrique Iglesias neckline of the shirt that is pretty much Santa Monica Boulevard to anyone who's ever driven by.

    If, perhaps, he didn't have one or the other it might not be so bad.

    Also, I'm not sure how keen I am on the pretty little earrings. Makes him look too sweet.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Mr Saturday Morning said…

    Anonymous, you've made your opinion more than clear. But the fact that you reference Enrique Iglesias shows that it IS a 'modern LA' type style.

    You think he looks like a gay male prostitute. We get it. Your opinion has been noted. Now let some other people comment.

    Thanks.

     
  • At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Alllllright... If I must.

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Totally dig the biker look, maybe not the jewelery though, and he could loose the shirt. I mean, doesn't he have wings?

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I do not like kid devil's redesigned costume. The horns are too small and the white shirt makes him look too much like a teenager. Kid devil should have a "wild beast" look. He is , kind of, a devil and he should look like one.

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Personally, I think Kid Devil looks great. I like his modern twist and homage to Blue Devil's current look with t-shirt and pants/jeans. I got the impression that Eddie's still trying to be more like Blue Devil with this redesign. I approve. Great job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home