Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Redesigning Ravager


My next redesign is Ravager.

I've always found Rose Wilson to be a fascinating character - even before her transformation into Ravager. The changes that Geoff Johns and Mike McKone put her through made her even more interesting. And like most Mike McKone designs, his Rose-as-Ravager was pretty cool.

In redesigning Rose, it was more a matter of looking at where she is as a character. Once she broke free of Deathstroke's brainwashing, it seems like Rose would want to distance herself from the whole traumatic experience. So, it'd be natural for her to want to change her look.

I redesigned Rose with a somewhat Nightwing-inspired outfit. Since Nightwing was the one who 'saved' Rose from Slade, I thought she'd want to honor that. Also, it would really piss off daddy to see his daughter in a costume inspired by his greatest adversary! Plus, she still keeps some Ravager-elements of her old costume to keep her edgy.

I also really liked the color scheme. The blues and silvers really worked with Rose's hair and eye color. So it worked on multiple levels. Also, the lighter-blues make it so she's not such a Nightwing clone. Also, notice that her costume is also made of leather - a thicker material and lends to Rose's bad-ass attitude. I also really wanted a simpler mask and something that would free Rose's long, white mane of hair. It really makes her more unique and expressive. Her divided domino mask is also something to make her unique.

As far as weapons, I kept her sword. But I also thought Rose would be using non-lethal weapons. Back in th 90's, she was pretty adept at using the bo staff. So I brought that back. And I remember Perez showing Slade with an energized bo staff - so I thought once again, it'd be something that Rose would steal and subvert. Because Rose is all about thumbing her nose at Deathstroke. That's why we love her.

More to come...

18 Comments:

  • At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Look, I dont like these new character designs. The current ones are still pretty cool.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey I have a question thats completly unrelated to this topic.

    What would happen if Deathstroke was injected with the counter serum Robin gave to Batgirl? Would he lose his powers? How would it affect his mind?

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dang! This Ravager is so cool! Great job, Bill!

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like this design, except for maybe the style of the mask. But that may have to do with the fact I think the face you drew looks a little too much like Dick with Rose's hair, at least to me. But otherwise, I like this the best out of the three so far.

    Mike

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger mcgeemaw said…

    Look people, Rose is a totally different person than Nightwing. So why would you put her in a female version of his costume?

    If anything, make Rose's costume more like that of the original Ravager.

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    see, i reckon that rose should be left just so atm
    shes a relatively new charecter in certain terms so she doesnt need the change
    looks pretty cool tho

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dang! I guess I'm the only one here who likes this Ravager.

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Again...great job. It's exactly who she is, just de-Deathstroked. I'm on the fence about the Nightwing-esque mask, but I'm leaning toward liking it a whole lot.

    What I'm really enjoying about these redesigns are that they're completely in keeping with the characters and are plausible changes. None of them look like some strange, new character and all of them were thoughtfully designed.

    Keep 'em coming!

     
  • At 4:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should put her in a frilly Little Bo Peep outfit instead. That would really make her mad and fierce.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really really like this one..
    She looks really cool..
    Great job.. :)

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger madramana said…

    I'm also enjoying these redesigns. Very creative and they do seem to be getting better with each one. Thanks for sharing this effort with all of us, as I find it very inspiring. Best wishes,
    xx

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not a fan of the Ravager/Nightwing look. Ravager should have her own unique look, not just copying off of Deathstroke or Nightwing.

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice! Very, very nice! I've actually been wishing that Rose had stayed paired with Nightwing on his book - a foil for him, keeps him connected (loosely) with the Titans. I love this redesign - keep up the good work!

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really like the new costume but I think it looks like Nightwing too much. The costume should have more Ravager elements such as the scales and bell bottoms. The costume should be more like Ravager but have some Nightwing ideas. I also like the mask.

     
  • At 4:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That's quite a cool redesign Bill.

    Though am I the only one who really loved the non-costume Rose Wilson. Just a pair of jeans and Leather Jacket.

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Again, I love this one!

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like it. The Nightwing influence shows respect and it would really piss Slade off.

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know what the only thing this outfit needs is?

    To be put into the actual book RIGHT THIS INSTANT.

    Heck, I've never seen the logic in her keeping the Ravager outfit in the first place. Yeah, it looks really cool, but Rose HATES her father now, and I don't think that she's the type to wear an outfit that links her too much to him.

    I actually didn't see the Nightwing motifs until it was pointed out. It has the same themes, but it's not really a female version of the costume. There's more different than there is the same.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home