30 Things I Learned Watching Smallville
I wrote these up as they occurred to me watching SMALLVILLE
EDIT! I added 10 more:
1. Lying to your best friends is more noble than just trusting them with the truth.
2. Evil rich people like classical music.
3. Sixteen year old kids can run coffeeshops as a small business while attending high school.
4. Science labs and newsrooms have fantastic ambient lighting.
5. Evil rich people like to hammer a point with a historical metaphor.
6. Never use a simple phrase when a pop-culture metaphor can be used. Bonus points if you can utilize the word "pulled." "He pulled a Harry Houdini" vs. "He disappeared."
7. People often use computer passwords that are not only sentimental, but easily guessable.
8. Kids in high school and college have an uncanny knowledge of 1970s and 1980s pop culture. [Or, you know, their writers do.]
9. A lot of street thugs wear skull caps and brand-new leather jackets.
10. Teenagers have favorite classical authors and poets.
11. Male best friends talk an awful lot about their feelings for each other.
12. Police officers like toothpicks.
13. Major metropolitan newspapers allow teenagers to write headlines and articles.
14. If you have an incriminating object in your possession, you should regularly take it out of hiding and stare at it.
15. You can download architectual schematics of any building right off the internet, regardless of the year it was built.
16. Ancient alien technology is Mac/PC compatible.
17. If you are concealing a secret, dart your eyes wildly.
18. People who live in mansions have super-high-tech security, but tend to leave their front doors wide open.
19. When you see a farm from a distance, you will hear a cow moo. It reinforces you are looking at a farm.
20. Millionaires in huge mansions prefer to spend all their time in a single room.
21. Friends with money will always fly in the "best doctors" and "best lawyers" in the world - at a moment's notice - to help another friend in need.
22. High School and college students can afford a brand new car at least 3 times a school year.
23. It's surprisingly easy to sneak into restricted government and civic areas. Also, Crime scenes with police tape are unspoken invitations to disrupt evidence.
24. Small towns are surprisingly unalarmed by a high volume of mysterious deaths.
25. Life DOES have a reset button! If you find yourself in an impossible situation: find a cave with alien scrawls, wait for the flashing lights, and everything will be made right again. Repeat as necessary.
26. Saving a girl's life countless times will not gain you any "trust points."
27. Listening to doctors is highly optional. People like to leave hospitals without doctor's consent, and often enter rooms when they are told they are restricted.
28. Head trauma is not nearly as serious as I believed it to be.
29. Farming largely consists of moving bales of hay from one side of the barn to the other side of the barn.
30. Never trust Lana Lang to do anything important. It never ends well.