Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Countdown to Financial Crisis


COUNTDOWN has just been pocket-universed. I just bought my last one - at least for awhile.

COUNTDOWN #51 showed a lot of promise... intriguing story, interesting mysteries, good cast, good art, solid writers and big things happening!
But I feel every issue since then has gone progressively downhill. The plot is moving at a snail's pace, every issue feels the same, the art is rushed and nothing is happening!

Worse yet, we are getting a slew of mini-series tie-ins. And all this is merely leading up to FINAL CRISIS... Which leads me to just want to stop buying COUNTDOWN and just pick up FINAL CRISIS when it comes out. Really, I just feel like I am getting what should be a 12-issue mini-series spread over 52 issues plus 20-something tie-ins. Law of diminishing returns, those tie-ins.


Wizard online also provides a COUNTDOWN catch-all every week.

Plus, I can put that $12 towards stuff like NEW WARRIORS, RUNAWAYS, DYNAMO 5, GARGOYLES and get lots more story for my money...

2 Comments:

  • At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i totally understand. i'm buying this series for the Donna Troy appearances, but dang...she's only on 2 or 3 pages per issue. and just like you said, every issue feels the same. i don't even look forward to this book. i just buy it out of habit and a need for completion. and why oh why are they adding on more mini series? those stories should be what's happening in the friggin Countdown book each week.

    and don't even get me started on the art work. yeah, i get that it's a weekly book, but if they got 4 or 5 artists that could each handle a monthly book, then why not get 4 or 5 GOOD artists and put all of them on Countdown? week 1 of each month = ale garza, week 2 of each month = terry dodson and so on. it doesn't seem that complicated to me. why hire all of these subpar artists and pretend that's all they can get that can put out a weekly book.

    just get Final Crisis here already! and make sure its GOOD.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I kinda feel the same way. I think DiDiot just tried to capitalize on the success of the weekly 52(which DID kick ass) too quickly. The Donna/Jason/Bob scenes and the Piper/Trickster scenes are about all I buy it for now.

    -Mike

     

Post a Comment

<< Home