Tuesday, April 22, 2008

NYCC 2008: Phil Jimenez


I caught up with Phil on Friday, who was doing his usual friendly chatting while sketching. He asked me what I thought of TITANS #1. I told him I didn't hate it as much as a lot other people seem to! "It wasn't horrible," is as much as I can say about it right now. I did tell Phil that I hate Donna Troy's new costume, and they never should have changed it from the one he designed. Phil just laughed.

I'm also really enjoying Phil's Spidey. He's really proud of some upcoming stuff, including a character he had a hand in creating. So watch for that!


I've gotten a good amount of sketches from Phil over the years. I gave him three choices: Joker's Daughter, Ravager or Cassie as Wonder Girl. He chose Cassie. And in typical Phil fashion, he goes above and beyond and adds the looming figure of Ares behind her.

My friend Matt was along for the show. This was his first real con, so he was a bit overwhelmed. By Sunday, he mentioned that Phil was one of the creators he most enjoyed talking to and watching sketch. Now HE wants a sketch from Phil someday as well.

LOVE this piece. What a great start to the con!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, I have only been to one Comic Convention and it was a small one in Buffalo (an hour ride for me). I was looking for the only Teen Titans (1966) issue I needed to complete the series. I met Mark Waid and Devin Grayson (just before she started Titans), but that was it. I ended up getting Teen Titans #26 (I think) over the internet to complete my collection.

    So how do you get sketches and stuff, how much does it cost? Do you just wait there or pick it up later. I always wondered how it works.

    Maybe someday I will check it out.

    ~ Rick

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not only did I really enjoy myself at the NYCC but it exceeded my expectations. Not ever being to one, I expected it to be similar to a trade show. There was way too much to ingest and not enough time to do it all.

    I definitely enjoyed meeting some of the amazing talent that brings the comic books that we have grown to love to life. I only wish I didn't get sick Saturday night which kept me from going Sunday. There were a few things I wanted to grab and hopefully grab...er...beg a few sketches of my own...maybe one from Phil...

    I will definitely be going next year. If I could afford to go to San Diego, I would go to that one too. How many months until feb.??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home