Monday, May 26, 2008

Mark Sable Shares Thoughts on DC Boards


Cyborg writer Mark Sable has
posted on the DCComics.com forums. Here's what he had to say:

"Hey everyone. Thanks for the comments, both good and bad. I'm glad a lot of you liked it and I understand why some didn't.

In terms of it being "a history lesson", I felt like I didn't have a choice. 90% of fans don't know Cyborg's origin, which is a) incredibly complex and b) which, as teentitan2002 points out, will tie heavily into the rest of the issues.

I would have liked to have had a shorter version of Vic's origin. But trust me, paring it down to part of one issue was hard enough. In the original, Marv and George had many more pages to work with, and more importantly, more panels. I mean, Perez could do 9-12 panel pages, and few artists (or readers) want that any more. Everything is 4-5 page panels these days. And it's not just Vic's origin from Tales of The New Teen Titans...I take him through the present, and believe me there was a lot I left out.

It's a hard balancing act. I didn't want to alienate long time fans, but the reality is that most readers are only vaguely familiar with who Vic is and wouldn't be able to follow it without some kind of recap. In the long run, the only thing that will keep the character alive is new blood.

At the same time, I feel like if you're a long time fan you are going to be happy with where we go after this. I didn't show Sarah, Ron and Sarah for no reason. (or the Titans, Silas Stone talking to _____, or DeShaun...).

Speaking of DeShaun and the whole stood up for the wedding thing.... Sorry if it's not clear, but basically, in the beginning it looked like DeShaun was standing Sarah up, because he was late. Tending to...well, I can't say. At the end, he gets there, but Vic has gone, and Sarah has gone after him. You can assume that either the wedding is close to the lab or that any amount of time has passed between the panel between Sarah leaving the wedding and what happens to her in the ruins of S.T.A.R. Labs.

I also want to say for the record how happy I am with the art. It's the first time I saw it in full color, and I think everyone involved really kicked ass.

Oh, and whoever mentioned Wolfman and Perez getting a created by credit, nothing would make me happier. It's not my call.

I hope you guys keep reading because the story only gets better. Big reveal at the end of 2."

I enjoyed #1. I thought it had a good blend of "recap" and set-up. The art was a little confusing toward the end (what just did happen those last 2 pages?), but good show overall.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I been quoted :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home