Thursday, July 31, 2008

SDCC 2008: Wednesday & Thursday


I arrived in San Diego on Wednesday to check out Preview Night, which is becoming more than a quick inside peek at the con floor. The convention was packed, once again showing that this con grows more each passing year.

Without any panels on Wednesday, the floor was the focus, and at its peak, you'd think it was Saturday afternoon out there. It definitely foreshadowed the next 4 days of lines and crowds... And more lines.

Thursday was a little more "Normal." I didn't attend too many panels, but I did get a chance to see the con floor. I also volunteered for The HERO Initiative, a very worthwhile charity that helps creators in need. I was also able to score a sketch from Gordon Purcell.

I came across the booth for a series called "Love and Capes", a heroically super romantic comedy situation comedy in comic book form from Thom Zahler. I liked it so much I went back and bought all 7 issues. Check it out!

I caught the panel which premiered Lionsgate/Marvel: Hulk vs. Wolverine. There is a full report here.

The DTV movie is action-packed and rather violent. It also features Sabretooth, Omega Red, Lady Deathstrike, and Deadpool as agents of Weapon X. As you might imagine, Deadpool really adds a lot of humor and life to the movie. I encourage Wolvie fans to check it out!

Later, a caught part of the fun Ed Brubaker panel, where it was entertaining to see the writer explain his work in his own words. I then caught the panel for Twomorrows Publishing, where Keith Dallas was there to promote The Flash Companion (a book that I designed). The book just hit the stands this July, and I urge people to check it out! Mark Waid himself bought it (he couldn't wait for his comp copy to arrive) and gave it two thumbs up.

I later caught the informative panels for "The Pitching Hour" and " So You Want to Do a Graphic Novel". And then it was off to the Hyatt bar for drinks and socializing. There, I caught up with Amy Wolfram (Teen Titans: Year One) and Thom Zahler (Love and Capes). If you aren't reading Teen Titans: Year One, I don't think you can rightfully call yourself a Titans fan! I also geeked out on Titans, Spider-man (and more) with Phil Jimenez. Spidey fans should check out the current Kraven storyline, because it'll knock you for a loop once its done!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home