Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Robin, Nightwing, Birds of Prey to End


While fans are still up in the air about whether or not Batman will actually die at the end of Grant Morrison’s “Batman: R.I.P.” arc, DC has confirmed three casualties for Newsarama.

According to the publisher, the February-shipping issues of Robin, Nightwing and Birds of Prey will be the final issues of the respective series.

As well as being the final issues, Robin #183, Nightwing #153 and Birds of Prey #127 will end eras for Batman-related titles, as each stretches back at least nine years.

Birds of Prey (which debuted in 1999) is currently written by Tony Bedard and follows the adventures of Barbra Gordon, the former Batgirl (now “Oracle”), Black canary and a rotating cast of DC’s female heroes; Nightwing (which debuted in 1996) is written by Peter Tomasi, and Robin (which debuted in 1994) is currently written by Fabian Nicieza.

The three series – coincidentally all originally written by Chuck Dixon, fleshed out the world of Batman in the comics, showcasing the original Robin, Dick Grayson, as Nightwing, Tim Drake as Robin and Barbra Gordon in Birds of Prey.

The three titles were roughly in the middle of DC’s lineup, sales-wise, with Nightwing seeing sales of over 50,000 copies to comic shops for September, while Robin and Birds of Prey saw sales of 32,000 and 21,000 copies, respectively.

DC declined to say if the series’ cancellations were due to sales, or if the three titles would be replaced by three new titles in 2009.


8 Comments:

  • At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I guess NW's relationship with Deb was dead in the water anyway. Why not kill the book. At least Night's can have that special something w/ Kory which can be rekindled, since, you know, no Bludhaven, no Deb. No Deb, no 'problem'.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger DT Butchino said…

    Tragic ... Tragic ...
    I would kill to work on the Nightwing book ... I thought it was starting to get interesting and then BAM ..


    Tragic ...

     
  • At 12:09 AM, Blogger Mr Saturday Morning said…

    I'm guessing this is part of the "Battle for the Cowl". I expect the Batline to be rebooted following this, with titles like: "Nightwing: The New Knight," "Robin: Squire of the Dark Knight," and "Agents of Gotham"....

    For me, this is my perfect jumping OFF point. NIGHTWING was just getting on its feet again, and now it's being canceled. Whatever is coming in its place, I think I'm going to pass.

    Also, by the time Didio is done, every title will be rebooted except ACTION and DETECTIVE.

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said…

    Never was much interested in the Bat-titles anyway.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those were my favorite DC books, so I guess I will be done with DC.
    Titans (all of them) have been awful!
    I guess this will save me money.

    ~ Rick

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So that leaves only JSA & JLA on my DC buy list. I guess buying Robin for 5 straight years wasn't enough.

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger Hellfyre D said…

    Personally, this is a perfect time for Didio to call me and let me write Nightwing and the Titans ;) You hear that Dan? I'm calling you out, bub! ;)

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Every time I think Didio can't sink any lower, I'm proven wrong.

    Makes me glad I left, but heartbroken for those left behind that could not be saved.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home