Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Eric Wallace's Titanic Task


In his first interview about his new “Titans” assignment, Wallace told CBR News he hadn’t discussed the interworkings of the two titles with [Teen Titans writer] Henderson just yet, but teased the two teams will be crossing over in the months ahead.

You also mentioned you were a big fan of the legendary Wolfman/Pérez run on the original “Teen Titans.” Have you been plowing through those back issues in preparation for this assignment?

Definitely. I love those stories, but I hadn’t read a lot of them in over a decade, so I wanted to brush up my familiarity with the world. Now I don’t plan on copying any specific storylines, but I do want to recapture the sense of immediacy and deep characterization they gave to their tales. And of course, throw in tons of action, because I really like to see things blow up.

“Titans” #14 focused on Cyborg. Will Vic Stone be a major player during your run? And if so, what makes him such compelling subject matter?

Yes… and no. I can’t really go into that too deeply yet, because exact storylines and how they affect the characters are still being developed. I can say that what makes him so compelling for me is his duplicity. He’s a man trapped in a computerized body. And in the modern computerized age that’s a huge advantage in every way, except when it comes to being a man. By that I mean affairs of the heart and all the other interesting stuff that comes with being human.

By the way, if there’s anything I specifically want to do on my run of “Titans” it’s to make sure that readers can recognize the characters on this team as deeply human. That means they’ll have flaws, they’ll get into arguments, some of them might even sleep with each other or at least try really hard to, and of course they’ll occasionally need to have some laughs and blow off some steam. After all, they’re not teens anymore, they’re adults, and it’ll be my responsibility now with these upcoming stories to write them that way.

Another character you admitted great affinity towards was Red Arrow. What do you love about Roy Harper?

What’s not to love about Speedy? Yes, I actually used to read “Teen Titans” as a kid before the Wolfman/Pérez run. You know, back when the Joker’s daughter was a member? And Hawk and Dove were around? Actually, they were my older sibling’s comic books, but I used to borrow them and read them after school. So I’ve actually been following Roy for a long time as a fan.



Read the whole article here.

I haven't really formed an opinion on Wallace one way or the other. It does seem like everyone at DC keeps talking about these "big plans" for the Titans, yet the two titles have been in flux for some time now....




2 Comments:

  • At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Diane Brendan said…

    I liked Eric Wallace's first issue, so I'm willing to give him a chance.

    It sounds like DC has some big plan in the works for the Titans, which is good to hear. But I'm still not liking this sound of 'drastic changes'. Sounds like a roster shake up to me. I always dread those, since more times than not my favorite characters are the ones who get shaken out.

    I guess we'll find out when he takes over. Any idea when that will actually be?

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Red Robin said…

    Dead comic walking...

    Why is it every other issues of titans is going to 'shake things up' with 'drastic changes'... If you're constantly shifting the team and changing everything then its not new, or exciting. It just seems convoluted and annoying.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home