Friday, July 03, 2009

Geoff Johns on Blackest Night Titans


In his discussion of Blackest Night, Geoff Johns has some things to say about Blackest Night: Titans:

NRAMA: There are several three-issue mini-series that tell the stories of characters like Batman and Superman and The Titans. Why that choice?

GJ: These stories are being told because they have a clear reason for being told. Blackest Night: Titans has a clear reason that fits into the bigger DC Universe story of Blackest Night.

And there's so much emotional material to get out of that. I mean, Superman and Superman of Earth 2 – there's a lot that James Robinson is getting out of those two characters. The same with the Titans. You've got Beast Boy and Terra. So there's just story potential and emotional potential to explore these characters, each very differently, by looking at the people that they've loved and lost, or feared and lost. That's the reason for the various mini-series that tie into Blackest Night.

[...]

GJ: So in the case of Blackest Night: Titans, which I think is going to be the sleeper of all the mini-series, it's not there so much to explain who Terra is, but it's there to explore Beast Boy and the Titans through Terra and through the other deceased Titans. It's to explore who these characters are now through who they were and where they're going next.


Sounds... interesting?

9 Comments:

  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger J.T. Bell said…

    I'm a bit nervous about "Blackest Night: Titans" mostly because there are so many Titans that have a huge emotional impact on the team. Some, like Conner and Bart would have been interesting to see (although I'm much happier that they are back). Characters like Terra, Mirage, Hawk and Dove would also be interesting. It also makes me question whether or not "if there is a corpse, there can be a Black Lantern" mostly because Bart would technically have an adult corpse running around. It's a cool idea, and will be one I definitely see through to the end. (Who knows, J.T. Krul seems to have an good talent for writing, although I've only seen him in the preview). I can't wait to see how it goes.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Honestly? My first, and only, reaction was:

    Yaaaaaaaawn.

    I've got nothing to say.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Diane Brendan said…

    I just hope that, when its all over, Terra goes back to her well-deserved (and appropriate) dirt nap.

    Good to see that Beast Boy is finally getting some attention.

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Jordan Buhlman said…

    Ehh...

    I wish Beast Boy was used for more than recycled character interactions for people that should have stayed dead. After all, what was really the point of killing people like Terra if you were just going to bring them back later?

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Anonymous RedRobin said…

    I'm looking forward the Blackest Night, mostly because it looks on the whole like it could be a really dark storyline that will ACTUALLY MAKE BLOODY SENSE! From the way the plot is going, we're not going to be jumping around from random villain to random story, trying desperately to figure out what is going on, and at the end going "I have no idea what the hell just happened" like in FINAL CRISIS.

    As for the Blackest Night: Titans... well... It looks pretty weak compared to the others. Maybe its because they've had so many deaths and resurrections and because I'm just not enjoying TITANS... I just don't know if I've got any real desire to read the book. The only thing that looks interesting is going to be Donna Troy having a mental breakdown form seeing her dead son resurrected.

    I could honestly care less about the Terra thing, because while Beast Boy had feelings for her, I hardly consider her the love of his life. Although maybe having dead Terra around will finally resolve the whole Beast Boy/Raven plot that we've been having to deal with for half a decade now.

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Diane Brendan said…

    I actually rather enjoy the Gar/Raven subplot. The only thing I haven't like about it is that they kept dropping the characters into limbo just when it seemed they were about to go anywhere with it.

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Anonymous RedRobin said…

    Exactly, Diane. Every time they start developing the relationship, they drop it because characters fall into limbo or they just drop it all together. I'd like it to finally get sorted out and finalized on either them dating or them just friends. I've grown tired of the 'will-they-won't-they' thing.

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Diane Brendan said…

    RedRobin: But I don't think that was a problem with the story. I think that was a problem with the way DC has kept monkeying around with the Titans. Roster changes, changing storylines in mid-stride, juggling creative teams, and conflicting editorial directives all played a part.

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Red Robin said…

    But that's exactly what I'm saying Diane. You don't seem to understand that I'm agree with you.

    When the rosters changed, the characters fell into limbo. While in limbo, the plots got dropped, and then when they were re-introduced, the writers skated over what happened before in a half-assed manner.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home