Monday, September 07, 2009

Preview: TITANS #17

DC Universe: The Source has provided a preview for TITANS #17:

By Brian Cunningham

Hiya, folks! As the TITANS editor, I wanted to do something a little different to hype issue #17, in comic stores September 9. My first call for ideas was the issue’s writer.

“My first plot had me making out with Starfire for 22 pages,” he said. “But that got shot down for whatever reason.”

The guest writer? Pat McCallum, fresh off his stint of stalking DC editors looking for work.

So what plot was approved for the issue? “The comic book debut of a villain whose only ever appeared in the animated DC universe, some Golden Age Green Lantern cosplay and the…[dramatic pause]…DARK SECRET behind why Beast Boy can’t go by ‘Changeling’ anymore.”

Pressed for more, McCallum provided the below list, adding, “Everything here happens in the issue—really—except one. A free signed copy of Team Titans #1 to whoever spots it.”*

2 Obscure Easter Eggs that only guys like Kurt Busiek will pick up on.

3 Appearances of Beast Boy’s Pérez-era haircut.

9 Panels with Dr. Double-X

300 Pounds of masked pro wrestler hungry for egg salad

800 How many feet a disembodied head is punted

1 billion Copies sold. Beat THAT, zombie Green Lanterns!

* Offer not valid anywhere. So enjoy pages 1-5 of TITANS #17 instead.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Titans were so poorly characterized, I think I just died a little on the inside. Bickering? Grousing? While mild grousing is allowed and in some occasions, expected from the characters to make them seem realistic, but man, Donna is crazy.

    And, Raven certainly would never be that rude or grumpy - that is, if they had bothered to remain true to her character (look at her clothes! People, Raven is shy and modest! Normally, she would not show her belly!). (While I must admit I had a light snicker at Raven scolding Kory for not wearing underwear, it's grossly out of character for her.)

    Wally? Don't get me stared on him. Gar himself is a bit out of character, too, though not as badly as the girls. Only Vic seemed to be close to his character, though he came off as a bit too... mild to me.

    Good heavens, this is what passes for Titans comics nowsdays? Poor guys.

     
  • At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Madame Rogue said…

    I was appalled at this preview. I thought these filler issues were meant to get the bad taste of Judd Winick out of our mouths, not revel in it.

    Most especially, I really dislike the way Gar is written here. He's suppose to have grown up and matured a lot more than is shown, and its just frustrating to see things like his mini series and run on Teen Titans completely forgotten. If this is the direction that DC is intending to aim Beast Boy for the foreseeable future, I will be extremely angry.

    I am so disappointed in this preview. After the really good Cyborg, Tempest, and Starfire issues, I had much better hopes for this one. But now it looks like Gar is going to get screwed again.

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This preview makes me sad. The writing is bad. The art is worse. What happened to my Titans?

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Red Robin said…

    This is getting tiresome. They really don't know what to do with these characters. And whenever that happens, they usually resort of angst and complaining and regression of characters.

    Beast Boy was developed into a leader of not only the Teen Titans but also the Doom Patrol. So, why are they trying to imply he's regressed?

    And I agree that the characters don't seem remotely like what they used to be. Donna is just mean all the time and extremely selfish.

    I understand Raven because she ISN'T the same character she used to be. She's no longer having to constantly control her emotions like before and be afraid of herself. Since her rebirth, she's made it clear, she's allowed to be her own person. And as for her clothing, Wonder Girl and her went shopping in the Teen Titans book before it got crappy. Raven has developed a modern fashion, so I understand why she's like how she is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home