Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Didio's 10 Answers 11/16/09


From Didio's 10 Answers 11/16/09:

2) wearelegion wrote:
Hi Dan -

Thanks for taking time to answer questions every week. It really brings DC closer to the fans as well as create great buzz and anticipation for the upcoming stories.

Understanding that there are probably 5 key character franchises in the DC universe (Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman...to some extent), are there any other key characters or teams that you would like to develop as a franchise moving forward?


DiDi: Well, we're trying right now, and I think we have a nice level of success, with Justice Society of America. By spinning out Power Girl and Magog into their own series, I think we've shown some characters that are part of a larger group that haven't had the chance to be showcased nearly to this level before. And then also by splitting the team into JSA All-Stars, it also shows that we have belief in a large group of characters in that book that people are wanting to see and see in more stories.

One of the things we're trying to do now and in the coming months is to put a fire under the Titans and Teen Titans again, to get those stories back in everybody's mind again. There's a richness of characters in there that could probably support their own stories if given the chance. When I look at characters like Cyborg and how long he's been around, and the fact that he's been featured in animation and on television, and the fact that we've never even given him a shot at an ongoing series, I think it something worth considering in the future.

I look at several of our team books, and in particular Justice Society and Teen Titans, and I think each one of them can have more material coming from them.

3) Alive_Man_Fastest wrote:
Hello Dan DiDio,

My question pertains to Kid Flash. Let me first say how excited I am about the Kid Flash book. Impulse is my favorite comic, and what got me into comics. So seeing Bart get his own title once again is like a dream come true.

I know the book probably isn't going to come out until maybe May, but I was hoping for some kind of announcement about it. I would love to know the artist, but I'll settle for any piece of information that hasn't been previously announced.

Thank you for your time, and thank you for doing these 10 answers and a question things, they are a fun Monday surprise.


DiDio: I can tell you that Sterling Gates is going to be working very closely with Geoff Johns so that the Kid Flash book and the Flash book really feel like it's a tandem team more than two separate series. And more importantly, we'll be seeing Kid Flash back in Teen Titans relatively soon as well. That hope should keep fans like "Alive Fastest Man" running at full speed until the series appears in May of next year.

Nrama: He mentioned the Impulse comic in particular. Can we expect Kid Flash to harken back to that comic? Or is the style of this come more comparable to work we've seen from Sterling Gates in the past?

DiDio: I think Sterling's already doing such a great job on Supergirl, and he'll bring a lot of those same sensibilities to Kid Flash. That's one of the reasons we chose him for that series. Also, you'll still see the dynamic between Kid Flash and Max Mercury, if I'm not mistaken. And I think that's new information, so you did get something out of me. But Max will be featured in this series as well. So if somebody's a fan of Impulse, they'll get that relationship back in the Kid Flash
series. Because of the Max/Bart relationship, I think they'll be very pleasantly surprised about what the plans are for the book.


Ummmm... hasn't Didio been talking about "putting a fire under the Titans and Teen Titans again" for the past 2 years or so?

11 Comments:

  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (Putting a fire under the Titans and the Teen Titans) Sound like they want to torch the two books up for a BBQ. Geez! Louise....To have a successful book? Have a consistant writter and artist team. Listen to what the reader and fan want.....Which is stop killing characters for a cheap thrilled. Thats is all we ask. Idiots.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Oblivion88 said…

    I hope "putting a fire under the Titans" doesn't mean more dead Titans. I didn't know Kid Flash was getting his own serious.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah - quite frankly, I say that he should give the Young Justice League kids their own title again. I don't think they fit well into the Titans (it's no secret that I'm not a fan of "Emo McSuperboy" and the way Geoff Johns write him). That aside, a way to "put a fire under the Titans" would be to hire a good writer that understands how characterization works, for one thing, and doesn't think drama necessary to push plot.

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Jack said…

    Please don't shoot me, but I am actually liking this Felicity D. Henderson writer, and I hope that she becomes regular (yes, I know... I think they have *implied* that she will be regular. But regular in regard to Teen Titans and the actual definition of regular are two different things.)

    I hope that Dido is smart enough to realize that killing Titans will not sell books. If you wanna kill characters, at least be a book good enough to establish a sturdy connection to the reader, before you blow them up. But death has become so cliched in the Titan books, that it would be wise not to kill off another Titan... for at least a good decade.

    From what I have been reading on this blog... is it possible that Kid Flash and Superboy become reserve members?

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger EoRaptor said…

    Is it just me, or is this the powers that be lamenting killing books like Blue Beetle and Nightwing because those were "some characters that are part of a larger group that haven't had the chance to be showcased nearly to this level before." Are they learning finally about having their cake and eating it too?

    I won't dog pile on the "lighting a fire" line because everyone else has already spoken my feelings on that. But yeah, I'm as sick of "cape angst" and emo heroes dying young as the next person.

     
  • At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just read #s 75 and 76 today and I've finally decided to drop the series. It's boring and Hendersen had some odd plot holes and characterizations that don't give me a lot of hope that she'll get better.

    Maybe once Conner and Bart are back and there's a new, decent creative team I'll give it a try again. But for the first time since I was 8...I'm done with the Titans for awhile.

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Madame Rogue said…

    On the subject of Henderson, I don't think she's terrible but I'm not wow'ed by her either. She's adequate, which is about all I can say. I'd still prefer JT Krul on Teen Titans.

    As for Didio, I think we've all heard this song and dance for far too long. I'd like to see some deeds, not words.

     
  • At 4:02 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said…

    This why they refuse to collect Young Justice in TPBs... in the hopes that fans won't remember that there used to be better times than this for the characters.

    IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Madame Rogue said…

    Meh. I didn't think Young Justice was as great as some do. It had its moments, but I never thought it was all that special. Not until I started forum lurking and discovered how many fans revere it, at any rate.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Allot of people who hate the current direction of the book sure do spend allot of fucking time talking about it.

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Thomas said…

    The thing that struck me about Henderson is how the voices of the individual characters are indistinct--they're actually the same voice (which is why Megan came off as just...bizarre to me).

    And while I'm grateful that no one died in her initial arc, the fact that we've gotten another seige of The Tower, and everybody bickering....I'm not impressed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home