Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Flash Update from Geoff Johns


Superstar writer (an all-around nice guy) Geoff Johns has posted an update concerning the recent changes in Flash on ComicBloc:

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! I hope you all have save travels if you’re heading somewhere for the holidays.

Obviously, there have been some changes (among many) in DC’s approach to co-features and, in particular, the Flash universe that have raised questions and frustrations. Yes, THE FLASH will no longer have the Wally West co-feature. It’ll remain one of DC’s $2.99 books rather than $3.99 and Barry Allen will be the lead character. Yes, the plans for creating a book title KID FLASH have altered. (The creative team lined up never started on the book.) And, yes, it was a mistake to announce our plans before they were set in stone. Everyone was just excited about the Flash. No one wants to disappoint anyone. That’s not only bad business, it’s bad karma. So all that above? That’s the bad news.

But there is good news too. You will see the stories Scott Kolins and I have been working on. You will see Wally and Bart and everyone (Jesse will surprise a lot of people!). You will see the Flash universe grow organically. No one wants the Flash universe to achieve the same heights Green Lantern has more than me and the creative and editorial team working on it (and maybe the bean counters at DC!
). I'm also working hard on the movie. Despite what it looks like, the plans have grown for the Flash universe, although the rollout for things has changed. Imagine something more like how Green Lantern grew. The Flash universe is set for something VERY big in 2011 as well. It’ll take a bit more time to build (not too much), but in the long run I do believe the foundation will be stronger for it. I can’t get into specifics too much and I don’t want to until we literally have covers to show – which I’m sure will frustrate some people – but I don’t want to see anyone disappointed.

I am incredibly excited about the future of the Flash and I think when things are finally rolling in April, you all will be too.

I'll try and answer any questions I can when I can over the next few days.


Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!

Geoff

2 Comments:

  • At 11:14 PM, Blogger EoRaptor said…

    So either it's the holidays and no one is reading blogs... or no one likes to responde to corrections and decent news?

    I'll hope its the former and believe the best of people in the spirit of the season :)

    Still, this sounds like tokenism like... maybe once in a blue moon you'll see one of other two flash's.

    and again with the spoilering and leaking of crap 6 months to a year out. (Actually a year-plus)

    Okay, well, at least someone is listening to fans it seems. Happy festivus all.

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love Johns, but I am not loving Flash: Rebirth. It feels so incredibly forced, both in returning Barry Allen and in telling whatever the heck story is being told about his return.

    Jay's helmet is inspired by WWI helmets? No. It's inspired by Hermes' helmet. Don't try to retro-fit something where there's nothing to retro-fit. And that's just one example of how Rebirth is falling short for me. You don't need to rewrite or find some new angle for every single aspect of every single speedster in the DCU.

    Honestly? To the world at large, Wally West is the Flash. I get that most people know Hal Jordan as Green Lantern, but Barry Allen was successfully replaced by Wally. Leave it.

    I didn't read the last few years of The Flash with Wally in the lead, but Barry's return has done nothing to make me want to pick up a title with him in the lead.

    This "rebirth" is a total miss for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home