Friday, December 11, 2009

JT Krul on The Rise Of Arsenal


IGN reports: " With Cry for Justice wrapping in the coming months, DC has announced three new projects to detail the coming changes for the team and the characters, each written by Blackest Night: Titans scribe J.T. Krul. The first of these three, a special one-shot called Justice League: The Rise and Fall, drawn by Mike Mayhew, will serve as an epilogue of sorts to Cry for Justice while gearing up for Krul's other two projects. Following Rise and Fall will be a four-issue miniseries called, interestingly enough, Justice League: The Rise of Arsenal, drawn by Geraldo Borges, and a six-issue arc in Green Arrow's ongoing, drawn by Diogenes Neves, called "The Fall of Green Arrow."

IGN Comics sat down with Krul to talk about these projects, his take on Ollie and Roy, and why the latter might be going back to his former alias."

IGN Comics: Will the relationship between Ollie and Roy embody that ethical rift between the Justice League members at all?

Krul: What happens with them is definitely a huge part of it. But it is a larger picture, so what happens with Roy definitely impacts the other team members. It's a little bit like what happened with Identity Crisis, where you have the people that were on board for the mind wipe of Dr. Light and the ones that weren't on board.

IGN Comics: The last half-year or so has seen you dive headlong into the DCU with various projects. How did you get involved with these latest projects?

Krul: I was already working with Eddie Berganza, Adam Schlagman and Brian Cunningham on Blackest Night: Titans, and I had done the Red Arrow spotlight issue for Brian on Titans. That's how the Arsenal thing came about - they knew I was a huge Roy fan and have been a fan of his forever. I jumped at the Titans spotlight issue, then when I got wind of what they had in store for Roy and they talked to me about that, I didn't have to think about it at all.

As far as the Green Arrow story goes, that just kind of happened organically. They knew I was doing the Arsenal thing and then decided I'd do a Black Lantern Green Arrow story in February. Doing the Green Arrow arc seemed a natural transition from that.



7 Comments:

  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger EoRaptor said…

    Well, I have to confess my knowledge of the two arrows is pretty much limited to the TV sphere... but honestly, as a casual fan of DC I can still pick out the following points...

    1.) shouldn't an epilogue (especially a oneshot) be included at the end of a story, as opposed to flying under an entirely separate banner? money grab much? or marketing misdirection? both?

    2.) obviously we got a bionic arm or a log of armless handi-angst (no pun intended, honestly) coming up in the fallout of the red arrow shite.

    3.) and of course, a big ole steaming pile of survivor's guilt as a side dish.

    I know I can't be the only one grown weary (or more appropriately "f'ing tired of") the continual, omnipresent angst hanging over pretty much every character in the DC universe at this point. are these people superheroes, or the cast of the latest prime-time soap opera targeted at teen-30 girls?

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I happy they're doing something with Roy. I like his character and I've liked JT Krul with the character. I'll see what they have in store...

    I've got my fingers crossed that Roy getting his old handle back means he's stepping out of Green Arrow's shadow with that Red Arrow mess and NOT becoming a villain.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Madame Rogue said…

    I've loved JT Krul's work so far, so I'm willing to go with this. I just wish they'd give him Teen Titans full time.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So far I have like JT Krul's work on Titans a lot, but I am sick of the characters I like the most (Titans) being killed, maimed, turned evil, etc. Roy (along with Donna and Dick) is one of my all time favorites and I just don't want to see him trashed again. . In his Arsenal days he never had a decent costume, or any real direction.

    I don't care if they call him Arsenal, Red Arrow, or even freakin Speedy, but he was finally getting some major spotlight time and Robinson ripped out his arm. Now Robinson is writing most of the Titan characters in JLA, and JT Krul is writing Green Arrow (fall of) and an Arsenal mini series.

    So do I spend the money and take a chance, or skip it? I am still not sure.

    ~ Rick

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Shades said…

    I love how he says he loves the character and to it by ripping the guys arm off. Hate to see what he does to the characters he wants to write out.

    So here is what I predict will happen.

    Cyborg hooks him up with a arm.

    Roy goes without it but its all moody about it.

    He ends up a criminal (Like Risk when he lost his Arm(s))

    Or he buys a gun (just kidding)

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I will be buying into this story and the Green Arrow ongoing seven issue arc(I count Blackest Nite/Green Arrow as issue one of that story)and I don't even follow JLA at all.I just wish that this will stay confined to the mini's and Green Arrow itself and not spill over into Titans and JLA and Daffy Duck meets Spawn.Enough is enough with DC's not so epic storylines.One of the reasons I dropped Return of Wayne and some of the Blackest Nite mini's was the cost and too many titles to chase and Marvel's Siege as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home